Friday, August 08, 2008

Gratitude and Receiving

This is about grace.

For over a month I have been experiencing the most overwhelming hospitality, kindness and generosity. It is a strange and wonderful thing to be a receiver. My natural response as a responsible, focused, achieving kind of person is to want to somehow "earn" this. I keep waiting for the opportunity to somehow repay these mounting "debts."

It is utterly undeserved. I did not, nor can I do anything to earn the enormous amount of goodness that has been given to me in this past month. People have spent countless hours, euros, kroners, petrol, effort and heart as a gift. I've come to truly believe that the only thing requested in return is simply that I receive and enjoy.

Maybe it is American, maybe firstborn child or maybe just Trina...but the idea that me just being me is enough of a gift and there is no "doing" necessary is a wonderful and difficult idea.

Our most recent hosts have taken this generosity to a new level. We have been here for almost two weeks with two incredibly kind, accepting, thoughtful and quite fun hosts. From the nectarine in his own hand to her time to hand-sew my torn jacket, I have received such an abundance of undeserved love. I am touched and so grateful.

1 comment:

Laura S. said...

Dear Trina,
Accessed your trip blog this AM & what a beautiful post this is! You're right -- receiving is a difficult thing, but you're definitely learning & understanding it. Ever read "The Return of the Prodigal Son" by Henri Nouen? (I think I've spelled the last name right.) It's an incredible story about giving AND receiving. Keep posting! & Enjoy!
Laura S.