Saturday, August 30, 2008

The worst version of a night train ever

So, I suppose it wasn't actually the worst, but it was pretty nasty.

We went to the bus station to buy our ticket, where a very angry woman who didn't know the answers to our questions responded snidely whenever possible. She seemed to get quite a bit more smiley when she made our seat assignment, which I thought was odd.

Interestingly enough, we ended up with the worst seats on the bus--the back row, sandwiched in (five seats in a row instead of two). These seats do not recline. Fortunately, we managed to switch.

The ride began at 22:00, and went until 6:00 the next morning (actually five because we switched time zones). It was like any decent bus--bumpy, starts and stops, turns and the like. And there was the border crossing, where we had to show our ID. And I had a 'medical' condition that, let's just say, made sitting really uncomfortable--and that was the only option. Fortunately, we did get to make a bleary eyed transfer in Warsaw. I tried the only Polish phrase I knew and the woman looked at me like I was speaking Swahili.

We did get on our train, and we made it to Krakow. And, after a short 25 minute walk with about sixty pounds on my back (and say, forty five on Trina's), we arrived at our hostel. Needless to say, we were tired.

No comments: