Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Drinking from a firehose

Before embarking on this trip, there was so much I didn't know about European history, the Roman Catholic Church, Communism, the Holocaust, etc. I seriously feel like I've been drinking from a firehose of information for nearly 3 months.

Each small event or place that we visit or learn about has as its context the history of the Western world. I'm not just learning about Krakow, but about religion, history, architecture, political systems and being led to ask philosophical questions about human suffering and humanity's capability for perpetrating evil.

Since Ron studied European history (which is very intertwined with church history as I now understand), he's learned a lot about the specific places that we have been...but it is more like he's filling in pieces to a puzzle that he started as a freshman in college. I feel like I am still figuring out how to open the puzzle box!

I've also realized that it is hard to reflect when you're still taking in so much. So, long about January, expect some really impressive, coherent thoughts from me about our trip to Europe =).

For now I can only tell you that it seems like I have really interesting thoughts in my head that are squeezed somewhere between the Slovakian word for bathroom and the name of our hostel in Istanbul.

No comments: