Monday, October 06, 2008

Grand Bazaar & Spice Bazaar






Do you remember the scene in Aladdin where Jasmine goes out into the marketplace and is overwhelmed? “Sugar dates, sugar dates and figs, sugar dates and pistachios!”?

Welcome to the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Bazaar of Istanbul. Not only are there 4000 shops in just the grand bazaar alone, but there is an infinite variety among them. It’s quite overwhelming. Add to this the gastronomic offers, and their requisite smells, and you are bound to feel a bit bombarded.

We bought Turkish delight, of course, and some of this special goat cheese. It is stored by wrapping it in goat skin.


Do you know what it tasted like? Goat. Yep; exactly the petting zoo odor incarnate in a piece of cheese. I’ve never wondered what that smell would taste like, but now I know. I’d also never met a cheese I sincerely don’t like. That is no longer true.

1 comment:

Christie said...

You are brave to have tried that cheese, my friend. I would have taken one look and bolted in the opposite direction. My husband, on the other hand, loves stinky cheese so he probably would give it a try, even after reading your review.