Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Phnom Penh is Beautiful!

Wasn’t expecting that. When you say “Cambodia” most people immediately think Khmer Rouge, Pol Pot and Killing Fields. This recent painful chapter was certainly horrific and is barely over, but in the course of the history of the Khmer empire, it was so small. If I was Cambodian, I would feel it important to remember and honor the recent horrors, but I would also feel that something was continuing to be stolen by the perpetrators if they also stole my country’s identity. Please know that Cambodia is far richer and deeper than the recent huge scar.

Phnom Penh has been called the pearl of Southeast Asia and I certainly know why. The city is full of fantastic architecture – you can see both Chinese and French influences, the air is fairly clear (compared to Hanoi or Saigon) and the whole thing feels quite developed.

What really sealed it for me was the Royal Palace. See post on it coming soon.




No comments: