Monday, August 17, 2009

Moving

Wow, it's a pain. I have never moved farther than 200 miles at a time, and when you cross into the thousands, everything changes.

With some research, we discovered that it was 1/3 the cost to ship 17 boxes of our most valued possessions and fly to Boston, compared with renting a U Haul and driving. Plus, it's a lot less work.

There's the physical part of it, hauling couches up three flights of windy, steep stairs (thanks Dad and Ron), the mental part, (how do you get tiny shards of glass from a shattered picture frame out of all your underwear you used as packing material?) and there's an emotional part (excitement about the new pizza place around the corner where the guy is "welcomin us to the neighbahood" and sadness realizing the hooligan Lake Oswego teenagers are speeding in their dad's beemer down a street 3000 miles away).

There's the great part about having a "home" and the weird part. It is so nice to have all my clothes in one spot. I can buy vitamins at Costco and I have a place to put them. But, it's also an adjustment.

It took a lot of energy to get used to the "no schedule, no home, backpack" life of travel. It required a ton of flexibility and wasn't really that "fun" for me at first. But, eventually I came to really love it. Now, I feel a little overwhelmed at all my stuff and wonder what in the world I ever used this trivet for.

Granted, I was eating yogurt and musli, kebaps and curry, and now that Ron's cooking dinner we theoretically need the trivet and we didn't all year. But, it still kind of throws me for a loop.

This whole alarm clock thing is weird. Don't get me wrong, there was lots of waking up long before I wanted to all year...but usually it was to my beeping watch or to the call to prayer from the local mosque and it was the middle of the night and we were rushing to catch our flight on the "low cost carrier."

So, in addition to medical school, there's also welcome back to US living. We've been in the country for a few months, but not in our own place, cooking our own food, with our own pictures on the wall. It's good and it's weird and I'll admit, I feel a little different than I did last time I saw those pictures.

Oh, I cut my hair! The day before we flew to Boston. When I find the camera and the cord in the unpacking I'll post a picture. It's just about shoulder length, flipping out. I look in the mirror and I definitely look like "Trina" again. I look like what I look like in all those pictures on my wall wearing all these clothes.

The great part is, this is an incredible city. It's fun, it's young, it's walkable and it's beautiful. We've just begun to explore things. Today we took the T to the first public beach in the US (Revere Beach) and swam in the Atlantic all day. It was warm and wonderful.

In the last week I've described moving as feeling "like the vegetable in the new chopper that gets mashed until it gives way and is sliced into four hundred little cubes" and "like being a kid who just figured out how to get my to my mouth and wants to taste a little of everything as fast as possible."

So, I don't know exactly what happens when the kid picks up a vegetable cube, but whatever.

All in all, thrilled with where we're landing...just a little surprised by the process involved in getting here.

No comments: