Saturday, September 19, 2009

More on Jewish Lawyers

I was having a conversation with one of my Jewish classmates last evening, about why Jews are so overrepresented as lawyers (among other prestigous careers as well).

She said, "when I was about to leave for law school, I met with my mentor, who happens to be a Jewish professor of law. I said, "I'm nervous about learning this whole legal reasoning thing. He said, "what are you talking about? You are a practicing Jew. You've been doing legal reasoning your whole life." It's true, my family spent each Friday night thinking through an ethical question from the vantagepoint of the Law. Also, we were always comparing the Law and the law of the United States, both in origin, substance and form."

Wow, well, that would do it.

1 comment:

Mystery Robin said...

That's fascinating. That never would have occurred to me, but makes perfect sense.

I wish more Christian's could say the same thing about discussing God's law, or theology weekly.