Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Chocolate is important

I love Trader Joes 72% dark chocolate. Love it. Plus, it's good for you. And, that's a great justification.

Lucky me, they sell it in "pound plus" sizes, so one bar lasts quite a while. Unlucky me, we ran out the other day. This upset me.

We do not live with easy access to Trader Joes, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I figured out if I took two buses and walked about ten minutes I could get there.

Relieved to see a full supply of them, I loaded ten bars in my basket and got in line. The woman behind me in line said, "Wow! That's a lot of chocolate! What are you going to do with all that?"

"Eat it." I said, totally straight-faced.

"Oh!" she said, nervously laughing. "Well, enjoy!"

"I will." What's wrong with these people. This is awesome chocolate. Why would I need to "do" something with it?

I get to the checkout. The clerk says, "Oh my! 10 lbs of chocolate! Are you having a big party or something? Fondue?"

"No. I just like it. We ran out."

"I'd say so!" Same nervous laughter. Weird, what's wrong with everyone here.

I walk in the door with ten lbs of chocolate in my arms. Ron looks at me, a little surprised, but with a huge smile on his face and says, "maybe we shouldn't have sent you there this time of the month."

5 comments:

Marisa Coleman said...

Ok Trina...I've been reading and really enjoying your blog for a while now. But with this post, it is now officially - and publicly -one of my top five. Awesome.

Jerald said...

Trina, we learned this week in a "Brain Healthy" class that a lady who
lived to be 113 ate 2 pounds of chocolate every week. So, you just purchased enough for 5 weeks and you are going to live to a very old age. Lucky for your patients!!

We have always enjoyed your blog but especially your latest medical experiences. You are part of our evening entertainment. Keep it coming!

Tamara said...

I feel totally the same about chocolate, Trink! In fact, I just finished off a handfull of Ghiradelli 60% cocoa chocoltate chips. If we had a Trader Joe's in Colorado, I'm sure I would be making regular pilgrimages there, too. By the way, I'm so proud of you guys and the way you are choosing to engage life. Way to go! - Tamara

Darron said...

Yeah! What's wrong with people?! Hilarious post :-) But ewwww, dark chocolate.

Christina W. said...

Trina - I SO wish I could have been a witness to that story! How funny and wonderful and so very much Trina! I miss you and would love to share some chocolate with you! Love - "roommate" :O)