Friday, February 12, 2010

First day in clinic!

I get to spend one afternoon every week following around a family medicine doctor, wearing my white coat, my stethoscope and pretending I'm totally official!

I feel like such a fraud. I walk in the room, introduce myself to a patient saying, "I'm a first year med student" meaning - I know nothing! Don't trust me! Don't believe anything I say! The patients hear me say, "I'm basically a doctor." I find this unnerving.

My teacher-doctor will put his stethoscope on the patient's chest and I'll mimic him and nod knowingly. The first time I couldn't hear anything. Turns out I had my stethoscope on backwards.

One of my fellow students said it perfectly the other day. "I go to do the heart and lungs exam and basically when I hear the beat, I think to myself - he has a heart, check!"

Everyone has to start somewhere right?!

I have to say though, I am learning so much. It is fascinating to watch it all come together. We have spent the past many months absorbing incredible amounts of information. To see why it matters and how it fits is wonderful.

1 comment:

OnAnAdventure said...

I love it!
I love looking back on these moments. Ha, maybe you'll end up being a heart surgeon someday and you'll remember this post and laugh. Woops on the stethoscope. :-)
Miss you!